Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Listening Room

I have a few friends who are always asking me what I'm listening to.  I like to think it's because I have impeccable taste when it comes to music (don't we all?).  Honestly, most of it comes down to the fact that they know I like music that requires a little bit from the listener and they share that sentiment.  As a musician I have an innate distain for music that simply caters to the lowest-common-denominator, which is why I rarely listen to the radio.  In any case, here's a list of some of the albums (yes, I still call them albums even though 90% of the stuff I have now isn't even on cd anymore - all digital like everyone else).  Some are new, some are old, some are just new to me.

City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love - Dallas Green's 2008 sophomore release is amazing.  A friend turned me on to it about a year ago, but it was just a few months back that I really dug into it and since then I can't get enough.  Green takes a lo-fi, old-school approach to recording.  He uses fat-sounding, mellow acoustic guitars while layering bright, heavily reverb-laden, vocals that are flawless.  Not to mention his songwriting.  He combines the vividness of Lyle Lovett and the story-telling of Leonard Cohen even, at times, echoing with hints of Townes Van Zant.  A beautifully simple album.  For fans of/also check out: Bon Iver, My Morning Jacket, Ray Lamontagne

Avett Brothers - I and Love and You - I listened to this album for about 4 months straight when it came out last September and it just went back into heavy rotation after I saw them on "Live at Austin City Limits" this past weekend.  I first heard of these guys when I lived down in Nashville.  And with this disc they've finally garnered some popularity to go along with the critical acclaim they been storing up for a few years.  For fans of/also check out: Ryan Adams, Nickel Creek, Jeffrey Foucault

Elevation Worship - Kingdom Come - The worship team at Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC is easily my favorite group of worship leaders/writers out there.  They are superb.  Excellent musicianship, great, singable songs, a healthy dose of straight up rock with a balance on the quite reflective tunes.  They pump out great songs on every album they do.  While I have to admit that I actually enjoyed their last album ("GOD With Us") a little better, "Kingdom Come" is still growing on me.  For fans of/also check out: Steve Fee, Kristian Stanfill, Switchfoot

Maroon 5 - Hands All Over - The new album is exactly what you would expect from Maroon 5.  These guys are all phenomenal musicians and who are good enough to keep you interested, but they don't over-do it, so their songs are easily digestible and crazily infectious.  I've always thought they make the records that Michael Jackson would have made if he hadn't completely lost his mind.  For fans of/also check out: Micheal Jackson (seriously, "Thriller" is still phenomenal), Fundamental Elements, Ben Rector

Antje Duvekot - The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer - Pronounced Aunt-yu Doo-va-kot, this singer/songwriter is insanely smart and poignant.  She reminds me, at times, of Patty Griffin or Shawn Colvin.  A very subtle and understated musical style with lyrics that are pure genius.  If you like music that is soothing and is perfect to put on while you read, check this album out.  For fans of/also check out: David Wilcox, Patti Griffin, Emiliana Torrini

Jed Whedon and the Willing - History of Forgotten Things - Jed (who is a fairly prominent hollywood screenwriter, as well as being a fantastic musician) somehow has figured out how to bounce seamlessly between 80's synth-pop to contemporary folk to digital-rock.  The first time I heard the album I wasn't entirely sure what to think, but I love it more and more every time it fills the house.  For fans of/also check out: Paper Route, David Mead, Death Cab for Cutie

Storyhill - Shade of the Trees - This folk duo has been putting out albums for 15 years and this new record is, in my opinion, their best.  Produced by another phenomenal singer-songwriter, Dan Wilson (of Trip Shakespear and Semi-sonic fame), is absolutely beautiful.  Two voices, one or two acoustic guitars, and a few spots of harmonica - and nothing else.  You can tell these guys have been making music together for a long time because they are so stinking tight on their harmonies.  For fans of/also check out: Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, the Weepies


ANTICIPATED RELEASES:

Bebo Norman - Oceans - Bebo's second album, 1999's "Ten Thousand Days", is still one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time (and in reality it is probably #1 on the list).  So the fact that some of the subsequent albums were disappointing to me actually says little of the quality of those discs, and more about just how good that second album was.  I was very encouraged by his last effort and that has me excited to see what he has in store for his 8th full length studio recording.

Avett Brothers - Live, Vol. 3 - CD/DVD combo due out in a couple weeks.  Can't wait.

Rush - Clockwork Angels - I think this is Rush's 738th studio album.  Ok, slight exaggeration, but these guys have been making the BEST rock music around for almost 40 years!  And they just keep getting better.  Unreal.

Jimmy Eat World - Invented - Another band that I have always loved.  Nothing flashy about their music, just solid guitar work and catchy melodies.

Until We're Kings - Heirs - Released next week.  Everyone should buy at LEAST one copy.


What are you listening to?


1 comment:

  1. always love music recommendations. only tried out the avett brothers, so far, but i'm loving them! as a musician, you would claw out your eardrums at some of the music i listen to.

    ReplyDelete