Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tony Robbins and My Idols

Ok, so I have to admit it.  I recently got hooked on Tony Robbins' tv show "Breakthrough".

Robbins has always been a really interesting guy to me.  One could argue that no one in the past 30 years has been more influential on American culture than Tony Robbins.  The guy was a multi-millionaire by the age of 24. Has been a personal advisor to Bill and Hillary Clinton, Hugh Jackman,  Quincy Jones, Jeff Arch (screenwriter, Sleepless in Seattle), Brett Ratner (movie director), Pat Riley (Hall of Fame NBA Coach), Andre Aggasi, Stephen Covey (author, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People), among many, many others.  He sells out arenas for his seminars on business, leadership, and life-change.  He has written numerous best-selling books and produced countless audio seminars and dvd's.  He has been appointed to international committees for peace and negotiations.  His "Basket Brigade" charity feeds over 3 million people in 56 countries every year (this in addition to his other programs that have helped in excess of 2,000 schools, 700 prisons, and 100,000 charities and service organization worldwide).  Plus, the guy is absolutely brilliant in the areas of psychology and philosophy, which is what makes him such a dynamic speaker, advisor, and life-coach.  I think when you look at the breadth of his impact you see how those he has worked with have gone on to influence/entertain/coach so many thousands of other people.  It's quite astonishing.

I'm struck as I watch his tv show at the Biblical truth that is conveyed through his interventions with the individuals on the program.  Now, the core of Robbins message is not one of Christian docrine, as the man claims to draw religious knowledge and guidence from all walks of faith.  However, as a Christian, I can't help but acknowledge the Biblical truth that is revealed through the show.

What Tony comes back to, without fail, in every episode is idolatry.  You see, in his shows the people he helps are always hindered by one thing, it's something they can't let go of, something that relentlessly dwells in their thoughts, something that has happened that they have placed ahead of everything else in life.  It's one thing that interferes with their ability to live a full, abundant life.

I don't think any of these people, even Tony, would recognize it as such, but the problem is always idolatry.  This is the same in our lives.  We wouldn't necessarily call ourselves idolators, I mean, we're not running home to worship a molded golden cow, made from our old jewelry, that's enshrined in our living room, but at some point we are all idolatrous.  I've heard it taught that the things we think of the most, the things we depend on for our happiness, the things we seek for security, the things we don't think we can live without are the things we most treasure.  That which we treasure is that which we worship.  That which we worship is our god.

I've had to do a lot of thinking on that recently as I've come to realize what I tend to allow to become my gods.  Often it is music or music related, other times it's relationships, still at other times it's money.  I promise the one true GOD that I'll do whatever he wants... as long as I still get to play music.   I'll go wherever He calls me... as long as it leads me to my wife.  I'll give up everything... as long as I can still make enough money to be comfortable.  Those conditions I place on my obedience show where my heart's affections truly lie.  I DO love GOD, but sometimes I love other things a little more.  It's a difficult thing to face your idols.  It's even more difficult to let them go.  Our nature is to seek and preserve our own comfort and well-being.  I think sometimes we miss out on GOD's comfort and some amazing life changes because we refuse to totally let go of what WE think is best.  I'm stuggling with that now.  How does one pursue the gifts GOD has given (whether that's talents, a job we enjoy, a solid income, relationships, etc.) and do so with great fervor, while still totally surrendering them to Him?  How do we overcome our idols?

I have heard Pastor J.D. Greear (Summit Church - Raleigh-Durham, NC) teach on idols and I keep coming back to what he said the key to overcoming idolatry is this:  Be captured by a vision of the beauty of the ONE TRUE GOD.  The fact that we have desires that override our desire to please GOD is not because these desires are more beautiful than GOD or lead us to a more fulfilling end, its because we lose our focus on the power and the beauty of the ministry and gospel of Jesus Christ.  We allow ourselves to be captivated by momentary gratifications that we know are followed by great emptiness.  But if, in those moments of drifting, we flood our thoughts with the vision of who GOD is and of the amazing gift of mercy and grace the life, blood, death, resurrection, and victory of His Son really is then we would have no other desire than to draw close to Him in His glory, in His beauty, and in His majesty.  Nothing else compares.  All else is rubbish compared to truly knowing GOD (Philippians 3:8).

A vision of the beauty of the one true GOD trumps anything Tony Robbins can ever teach you.  Guaranteed.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment